Jobseekers today have to navigate a very competitive market. Any advantage they can gain may mean the difference between landing their preferred job and missing the opportunity completely. ChatGPT is one helpful tool that many candidates have started to use in their job search.
This AI-powered platform is a chatbot designed to answer user questions and “converse” in a natural, human-sounding way.
How exactly can you use ChatGPT to enhance your job search? Let’s discuss five ways this cutting-edge platform can help you find your dream job.
1. Assist in the Creation of Your Resume
Your resume is typically your first introduction to a hiring manager, and as such, you want it to create the most favorable impression possible. However, creating an impactful resume is not necessarily an easy task.
How does ChatGPT fit into the picture? It can do so in one of two ways:
- First, if you already have a resume in place, you can use ChatGPT to tailor your resume to a specific industry or role.
- If you are trying to build a resume from scratch, ChatGPT can be a great starting point for your efforts. For example, you can input something like “create a resume template for data analyst” into the platform’s chat box.
While ChatGPT can’t create the final product that you’ll include in job applications, it can provide a framework to organize, streamline, and enhance your resume writing.
2. Help Write Your Cover Letter
A cover letter usually goes hand in hand with a resume. While some jobseekers may feel that cover letters are outdated, many hiring managers would disagree. In fact, one study found that 53% of employers believe that a resume by itself is insufficient for a candidate to get noticed.
Since a cover letter can be such a huge difference maker, it only makes sense to look for help to craft an exceptional one. ChatGPT can provide useful assistance in this regard. For example:
- It can help you to structure and format your cover letter so that it follows widely accepted standards.
- It can help you brainstorm ideas for the content of the letter, and offer suggestions on how to frame your skills and experiences in the most positive way possible.
- You can also use ChatGPT to proofread and edit a cover letter you’ve already written.
3. Discover the Best Keywords To Include in Your Job Search
As a jobseeker, it’s likely that you’re frequenting online job boards to see which positions have become available since your last visit. However, is it possible that you’re inadvertently missing opportunities simply because they’re not showing up in your search results?
If you’re worried about this possibility, then consider using ChatGPT to refine your search queries. For example, you can ask ChatGPT to create a list of the best keywords to use when searching for your desired job. By doing so, you save much time and effort as you navigate different online job boards.
4. Research Interview Questions That May Come Up
How can you effectively prepare for an upcoming interview with an employer? ChatGPT is a gold mine in terms of brainstorming interview questions that may arise.
For example, you can type something like “show me a list of common behavioral interview questions” into the chat box, and then think about how you’d respond to each question using the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) method. Beyond that, you can also explore the more specific, technical questions that may come up, depending on the position you’re applying for — e.g., you can type in “show me a list of possible interview questions for a software development position” and analyze the results.
5. Craft Email Outreach/Follow-up Messages
Even after your interview with an employer has been completed, ChatGPT may still prove useful to you. For instance, it is always a good idea to send a follow-up email to your interviewer by day’s end, simply thanking them for the opportunity to spend some time with them. This may seem like a small gesture, but your thoughtfulness in this regard may leave a lasting impression on the interviewer. Here again, ChatGPT can help you to craft a thank-you note that’s professional and well-organized.
In addition, you can leverage ChatGPT to help you prepare any outreach or follow-up messages to the hiring manager, even if they are relatively simple emails. Remember, ChatGPT’s proofreading and editing capabilities can help your correspondence look as crisp and professional as possible.
Points To Keep in Mind
As shown above, ChatGPT can be an exceptionally helpful tool for your job search in a number of ways. Of course, as a tool, it has its limitations. Here are a few important points to keep in mind as you use this platform:
- Currently, ChatGPT’s information is only relevant through 2021. While you can use it to get ideas on where to search for open roles, you can’t use the tool itself to find open roles.
- ChatGPT is driven by artificial intelligence without the benefit of nuance or intuition. Therefore, it can only work as well as the prompts you give it. So be as specific as possible!
- When you use ChatGPT to help you create a resume or cover letter, never use its response as your final product. Make sure you review it, add your own personal touch, and edit, edit, edit! Remember, ChatGPT won’t be the one meeting the employer and attending the interview.
If you’d like to learn more about how ChatGPT can help your job search or have any other questions on how to become a more attractive candidate, reach out to our team at The Doyle Group today for more information. We’d be happy to help!