Software Engineering Leader
Are you a builder? This is an awesome opportunity for someone with a passion for transformation, helping a well-established business with an industry leading platform scale to the next level.
This role will help build the next gen SaaS solutions, and will include building teams, building process, and helping to transform the company culture appeals to you… and you are inspired to coach, mentor, and influence, then we want to hear from you!
Our client, the largest on-demand logistics marketplace in North America, is looking to add a Software Engineering Leader to oversee a team of 5-8 engineers. Their current platform processes over 150,000 transactions per day and is used by 70% of all freight brokers and 60% of all carriers nationally.
A SaaS technology company that has been at the leading edge of innovation in transportation supply chain logistics for many years, their employees see themselves as the opposite of corporate robots – they share a passion for delivering superior services through collaboration, constantly experimenting with new ways of doing things, and maintaining an open, human-focused culture.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineering Leader, preferably with a background in consumer web, to lead on overall architecture and technical direction of their team. Candidates must be highly proficient with current software development technology, tools, and practices, particularly in software as a service. Experience with cloud-native architectures, and an ability to understand that fiailure is a learning opportunity and the goal is to fail fast and fail forrward.
- Collaborate with product management to drive software engineering projects
- Participate in architecture and technology decisions with architects and senior leadership
- Participate in architecture and technology roadmap planning
- Observe, coach and facilitate effective communication and alignment among product, architecture and engineering teams
- Contribute to project plans and product roadmaps, specifically in task breakdown, estimating, and scheduling
- Capacity planning for initiatives and staffing up of engineers with necessary skills, ensuring teams remain relevant and prepared to deliver through training and professional development plans
- Communicate project status and team progress reports up the management chain
- Provide consistent team goals and objectives
- Continuous improvement activities – identify and remove obstacles to progress and success
- Provide guidance and direction to all members of Agile team.
- Provide mentoring and career development to individual team members
- Champion initiatives to consistently improve software engineering teams
- Actively seek to attract new talent and improve the hiring process
- Experienced managing software engineering teams in an Agile environment (external-facing products favored)
- Experienced within our client’s tech stack (AWS, Node, Angular, Java, Docker/ Kubernetes)
- Strong experience with Agile and at least one agile methodology such as SCRUM, XP, or SAFE
- Knowledge of Microservices established best practices
- Knowledge of REST APIs established best practices
- Knowledge of Design Principles and Patterns
- Practical experience with Object-Oriented and/or Functional programming
- Practical experience with unit testing
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience